The department's performance is measured in both financial and non-financial terms against performance indicators and measures.
The performance reports are organised to reflect the priorities set out in the previous Department of Education, Training and Arts Strategic Plan 2008-12:
- Laying strong educational foundations
- Enhancing individual and economic opportunities
- Engaging with others
- Improving agility and sustainability.
The fifth priority published in the strategic plan, Enriching lives and communities, transferred with Arts Queensland to the Department of Premier and Cabinet in recent machinery-of-government changes.
The performance reports:
- analyse the department's performance against the 2008-09 indicators and measures outlined in the Strategic Plan
- summarise the initiatives, activities and management practices that supported the department's performance for the year
- outline the department's future direction.
Each performance report begins with 'showcase stories' to highlight the positive outcomes being achieved for the community.