Over the next three years, Internal Audit will:
- review the overall focus of audit to align with the requirements of the new Financial Accountability Act 2009
- implement processes that enable a more effective follow-up of audit recommendations, including external audit recommendations
- introduce a control self-assessment framework to assist schools in monitoring and enhancing internal controls, and to assist the Chief Finance Officer in meeting obligations under section 77(2) of the Financial Accountability Act
- maintain an audit team focused on providing meaningful positive assurance to the agency regarding the effectiveness of control frameworks
- continue to build positive relationships with clients to enable audit to offer a value-add advisory service, including greater emphasis on performance reviews
- reduce control costs by identifying redundant or duplicate controls and encouraging acceptance of an appropriate level of residual risk by streamlining work practices
- continue to assist management in maintaining an up-to-date enterprise risk management framework, and in identifying deficiencies in risk management within the department.